Six on Saturday 5th May 2018

Good morning and welcome to SOS.

I need water! Yes you heard me right. I realise it has been a tad inclement darn sarf but it has been pretty dry up here for a good 3 – 4 weeks. I have exhausted the water in my 2 water butts and have watered the garden with the hose a few times but the garden could really do with a couple of days rain. We had rain on Wednesday but it was basically just a light shower.

Garden wise I have tried to spend at least an hour a night pottering around after work. I have received another delivery of tender Sedums and Aenoniums from Surreal Succulents . I am becoming a bit addicted with this company and I am going to have to reign myself in as I am going to have no where to put them in the winter.

Here is my SOS. I hope you enjoy it.

1. Tender Sedums

Above we have 2 of my tender Sedum collection. Sedum Crocodile and Sedum Clavactum. I find these so interesting and you can see subtle changes every week. They are slow growing which is good because it teaches me patience. When I first started out I was an impatient gardener but overtime gardening teaches you patience which helps me mentally and helps me relax.

2. Tulips

IMG_2522

Slowly but surely my tulips are starting to show. Too to bottom we have Tulip Cairo, Tulip Ronaldo and Tulip Carnival de Rio. I am taking a bit of a shine to Tulip Cairo. It is a lovely complex orange colour and if I knew how beautiful they were I would have put them in a pot and not in the border. In the background we have Primrose Firecracker. I honestly thought these had been killed off during the wet winter and the beast from the east but they have added a stunning splash of colour I am sure you will agree.

3. Bergenia Winterglut

IMG_2450.JPG

A welcome addition to the border, A Spectacular flowerer. This is becoming a firm favourite.

4. Gravel garden

IMG_2425.JPG

Really pleased how this is coming along. This is not very big but it is crammed with plants many of them Sedums. The only problem is perhaps it is too crowded but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. In this picture we have Sedum Goldfinger on the rifgt, the yellow one is Sedum Acre Aureum, Saxifraga Highlander Red and Echeveria Duchess of Nuremberg. The pots on the right has some Sempervivum in them.

5. Lavender in a pot

IMG_2561

As mentiomed ina previous post I bought 18 lavender plug plants from J Parkers. I have planted 8 in the garden but they are not really doing anything.  Hopefully they will start growing soon, I have planted the rest in pots and will place them around the patio.  They will add some fragrance and some colour in the summer.

6.  Perennial Viola hanging basket

IMG_2660.JPG

When I was in Scotland I bought a few Violas.  I have put them in a hanging basket and they seem to be ok at the moment, it will be interesting to see how it looks the middle of summer..   In this picture we have 2 varieties Marin and Etain.

That’s my SOS.  The sun is out and that means one thing for it…..a weekend in the garden and a few cheeky pints.   One of the pubs in Berwick has a beer festival.  Happy days.

As always to find out how six on Saturday works please follow the following link The Propagator. The don of six in Saturday.

Thanks for reading

19 Comments Add yours

1. John Kingdon says:

The gravel garden looks really good and is going to look great before long. Don’t worry about overcrowding; somehow sedums and similar plants grow to fill the space but sense when the space has run out and stop growing.The mix of green/pink/yellow/orange-red in your bergenia photo makes for a really wonderful shot.

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes I am well pleased with the gravel garden. Can only keep maturing. Will post more photo’s later on in the year no doubt,

2. janesmudgeegarden says:

I’m having Bergenia envy. Your photo is spectacular. The gravel garden is going to be wonderful too.

1. Thank you I am particularly pleased with that picture I have to admit,

3. Mala Burt says:

Number 3 is my favorite photo. The purple against the orange background is luscious. Are the orange primulas?

4. fredgardener says:

I liked your gravel garden too. Taking a picture at ground level was a very good idea to highlight it. Pretty Sedum crocodile too and this Bergenia changes the common I have here more light pink. Thank you for sharing it

Liked by 1 person

1. No problem Fred. Thanks for the comments.

5. Ali says:

I love our little confessions! We all have our weaknesses, so I sympathise with your succulent addiction. Those are lovely tulips. Is ‘Carnival de Rio’ massive? I wonder if that was the stunning one I saw at Dixter? Your bergenia too is beautiful. I don’t seem to be able to give them what they want!

1. Aye Rio de Carnival are tall. Some of the biggest I have seen

6. cavershamjj says:

Love that bergenia! Wowsers. *adds to want list*

1. Thanks mate…it’s a cracker isn’t it

7. Do you bring your tender sedums indoors in the winter? Funny how plants can teach you patience. Weird old weather we’ve been having. It was 24C out there today but ground is still sodden from last week’s downpours. Hope you get just the right amount of rain soon.

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes I probably will bring them in doors. Might have to buy a new house though.

Liked by 1 person

8. Keep looking at the sedum website, resisted so far but know I’ll succumb at some point. I’ve a few in pots outside the back door for some winter interest but there are so many different ones!!!

9. tonytomeo says:

Three to four week? That is a bad thing? Goodness, our rain stopped quite a while ago, and will not return until winter. I have not seen Bergenia winterglut before. We have only the old fashioned winter blooming bergenia, and it is rather unpopular nowadays. I really like it, but I do not set the trends. Yours has much taller flower stems, and richer color.

Liked by 1 person

1. We are a bit obsessed with the weather across here Tony. Some of the plants I have like moist soil. The Bergenia Winterglut is a beauty isn’t it.

1. tonytomeo says:

Yes it is. The name is funny though. Regardless of the stigma of such old fashioned plants, I like bergenia because it is such a tough and sustainable perennial.